- Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. - Matthew 3:2
However, due to Israel’s rejection, the establishment of His kingdom on earth was postponed and reserved for a future nation.
- Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it. - Matthew 21:43
The postponement of His kingdom on earth does not limit Christ’s ability to reign. Following His resurrection and ascension, God the Father seated Christ at His right hand and gave Him all authority to rule.
- which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet - Ephesians 1:20-23
Presently, Christ is reigning from Heaven over a spiritual kingdom.
- For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, - Colossians 1:13
He is reigning amid His enemies.
- The Lord says to my Lord: Sit at My right hand Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet. The Lord will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying, Rule in the midst of Your enemies. - Psalm 110:1-2
When He returns, after the Tribulation, Christ will establish His physical kingdom on earth.