- Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward. - 1 Samuel 16:13
When Jesus came, He came as prophet, priest, and king. In order to serve in such roles, Jesus needed to be anointed with the Holy Spirit. This anointing occurred at Jesus’ baptism.
- After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, - Matthew 3:16
- You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, - Acts 10:38
That Jesus came as prophet, priest, and king indicate that He is indeed the Christ or Messiah. The title Christ or Messiah means the Anointed One. Because the Holy Spirit anointed Christ, He was empowered to perform miracles and preach redemption.
- The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, Because the Lord has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners; - Isaiah 61:1
The Holy Spirit also anoints all believers for service.
- but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses… - Acts 1:8
In the Ancient Near East, olive oil also had several other uses including, cleansing, comfort, and illumination. Again, oils function typifies the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit cleanses believers from sin.
- He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, - Titus 3:5
The Holy Spirit provides comforts.
- But the Helper [i.e., Comforter], the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. - John 14:26
The Holy Spirit illuminates the Scriptures enabling believers to understand Scripture.
- that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. - Ephesians 1:17