At the moment of salvation, God sealed believers with the Holy Spirit.
- having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, - Ephesians 1:13
Because believers are sealed with the Holy Spirit God lays a claim of ownership upon them.
- you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit… who is given as a pledge (arrabōn) of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory. - Ephesians 1:13-14
- Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, The Lord knows those who are His, and, Everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wickedness. - 2 Timothy 2:19
That believers are sealed until the day redemption guarantees that no believers will be lost.
- Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. - Ephesians 4:30
Because believers are sealed with the Holy Spirit, they are deputized as ambassadors of Christ.
- Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ… - Ephesians 5:20
Believers have been granted the authority to speak on behalf of God, preaching, teaching, and defending His Word.
The Holy Spirit is also given as a pledge.
- who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge (arrabōn). - 2 Corinthians 1:22
- Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge. - 2 Corinthians 5:5
The pledge (arrabōn) is a down payment which confirms the transaction will be paid in full. That God gives the Holy Spirit as a pledge guarantees believers of their heavenly inheritance.