General Revelation is available to all. It reveals truths about God and points man to God. There are three types of general revelation: nature, providence, and conscience.
- For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen... so that they are without excuse. - Romans 1:20
- living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them... and yet He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good and gave you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons... - Acts 14:15b-17
- For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law... show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness... - Romans 2:14-15
Special Revelation is that revelation that reveals truths about God that could not be known through General Revelation. Special Revelation comes through Jesus, the Living Word.
- God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son ... - Hebrews 1:1-2
Special Revelation also comes through the Scriptures, the Written Word.
- All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17