- So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. - Mark 16:19
- While He was blessing them, He parted from them and was carried up into heaven. - Luke 24:51
- And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. - Acts 1:9
This ascension was fulfillment of Psalm 110:1 — sit at My right hand. The ascension marked the end of Christ’s earthly ministry. With His earthly ministry ended, the time of His humiliation was over. His glory, that was previously veiled, was no longer veiled.
- Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was. - John 17:5
- As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; […] And he said, Who are You, Lord? And He said, I am Jesus whom you are persecuting, - Acts 9:3, 5
Once ascended into Heaven, Christ began His new work as the believer’s High Priest.
- Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. - Hebrews 4:14-16
As High Priest, Christ continually makes intercession for believers.
- who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. - Romans 8:34