- in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago, - Titus 1:2
If God is a liar, He cannot be God. God’s very nature is holiness. Holiness means that God is the standard of absolute purity. If God were to lie, then He would not be absolute purity. Instead, He would be Satan. However, God is unchanging.
- For I, the Lord, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed. - Malachi 3:6
Since He is unchanging, God has not lied nor can He ever lie. It is impossible for God to lie.
- it is impossible for God to lie - Hebrews 6:18
As well, not only does veracity mean that God cannot lie, it means that He is Truth.
- Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. - John 14:6
Louis Berkhof states that truth is “that perfection of His being by virtue of which He fully answers to the idea of the Godhead, is perfectly reliable in His revelation, and sees things as they really are.”(1) That God is Truth means that He speaks the truth and does what He promises to do.
- God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? - Numbers 23:19
- Louis Berkhof, Systematic Theology (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1941), 69.