For example, God told Adam not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Adam had a choice — to eat or not to eat. Had Adam chosen not to eat, He would have chosen God’s perfect will. Adam would have been blessed and lived forever in perfect fellowship with Eve and God. However, Adam chose to eat the fruit. In doing so, He chose the permissive will. This choice resulted in the curse of death and chastening from God.
While the decree of God is a single all-encompassing plan, it manifests itself through various appointments. God appointed governments, nations and their boundaries.
- Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. - Romans 13:1
- When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance, When He separated the sons of man, He set the boundaries of the peoples… - Deuteronomy 32:8
- and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, - Acts 17:26
He appointed the length of human life and death.
- Since his days are determined, The number of his months is with You; And his limits You have set so that he cannot pass. - Job 14:5
- And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, - Hebrews 9:27
Though each appointment was distinct and manifested itself at different points of time, they were part of the decree of God, established in eternity past.