- You shall put them on Aaron your brother and on his sons with him; and you shall anoint them and ordain them and consecrate them, that they may serve Me as priests. - Exodus 28:14
- Then the men of Judah came and there anointed David king over the house of Judah. - 2 Samuel 2:4
Since Christ would serve as both priest and king it was necessary that He be anointed. Christ’s anointing was prophesied in Isaiah 61:1 and fulfilled in Luke 4:17-18, 21 by the Holy Spirit at His baptism.
- The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, Because the Lord has anointed me - Isaiah 61:1
- And He opened the book and found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He anointed […] And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing. - Luke 4:17-18, 21
- After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, - Matthew 3:16
The Holy Spirit’s anointing of Christ not only designated Him as Priest and King, but introduced Him to the public.
- I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water. John testified saying, I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. - John 1:31-32
- You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, - Acts 10:38
It also served as authentication of Christ’s identity as the Son of God.
- After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him,and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased. - Matthew 3:16-17
As well, the anointing by the Holy Spirit empowered Christ during His earthly ministry. While Jesus as God has His own power, He laid aside the outworking of His power at His incarnation. Thus, it was necessary to be empowered by the Holy Spirit.