- But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. - John 16:13-14
- but just as it is written, Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, And which have not entered the heart of man, All that God has prepared for those who love Him. - 1 Corinthians 2:9
- If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; […] If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. […] If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. - 1 John 1:6, 8, 10
The Holy Spirit’s ministry of illumination is necessary for two reasons. First, the Bible is a book unlike any other human book, it is of divine origins. Human thinking alone is insufficient to perceive spiritual truths.
- For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:11
- But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. - 1 Corinthians 2:14