- But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. - John 14:26
Second, illumination is only available to believers, who are in a right relationship with God.
- If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. […] If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. - 1 John 1:8, 10
Third, the truth, which the Holy Spirit enables the believer to understand, is God’s Word.
- Sanctify them in the truth: Your word is truth. - John 17:17
Illumination is necessary for two reasons. One, the Bible is a book unlike any other human book, God wrote it. Human thinking alone is insufficient to perceived spiritual truths.
- For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:11
Two, human thinking is not only insufficient, but it is also unregenerate.
- But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. - 1 Corinthians 2:14
Unless the Holy Spirit regenerates an individual, he or she may learn Bible facts, but they will never know the truth contained within its pages.