- The record of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham: - Matthew 1:1
Matthew traces Christ’s lineage through His adoptive father, Joseph, whereas Luke traces Christ’s lineage through His mother, Mary. Both records demonstrate that Jesus Christ is Jewish and a direct descendant of David. Thus, He has the proper legal descent to be King.
Christ was anointed King at His baptism.
- After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased. - Matthew 3:16-17
- You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, - Acts 10:38
At His temptation in the wilderness Christ demonstrated that He was morally qualified to the King.
- [Christ] committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; - 1 Peter 2:22
Early on His ministry, Christ demonstrated that as King, He knew and guarded the Law.
- Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. - Matthew 5:17-18