- By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome. - 1 John 5:2-3
Loving God and others is the summation and fulfillment of God’s Law.
- And He said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend the whole Law and Prophets - Matthew 22:37-40
- For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet, and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. - Romans 13:9-10
- If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself, you are doing well. - James 2:8
All of God’s Laws hang on the two commandments to love God and others. Obedience to God’s Law perfects God’s love in His people and proves they belong to Him.
- but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: - 1 John 2:5