- For I am the Lord your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy. - Leviticus 11:44a
- because it is written, You shall be holy, for I am holy. - 1 Peter 1:16
- for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.- Romans 4:15
- What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, You shall not covet. - Romans 7:7
Two, the Law has an instructive purpose. It convicts humanity of sin and commends sinners to the Redeemer.
- Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin. - Romans 3:19-20
- Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. - Galatians 3:24
Three, it has a directive purpose. The Law governs believer’s lives.
- And He said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. - Matthew 22:37-40
- If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. […] He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him. - John 14:15, 21