- Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin — because they were saying, He has an unclean spirit. - Mark 3:28-30
The term forgiven (aphíēmi) means to remit or remove sins so that the one forgiven is no longer guilty of them or under their power. If one sins against the Holy Spirit by blaspheming Him, he will remain guilty of sin and under its power forever. The phrases not forgiven him in this age or in the age to come (Mathew 12:32) and never has forgiveness (Mark 3:29) indicates that the person has wholly forfeited the possibility of being forgiven now or in the future.
Two things should be stated regarding what the unpardonable or unforgivable sin is not. First, this sin is not merely any sin or blasphemy. It is a particular sin or blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that any sin or blasphemy could be forgiven.
- Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, - Matthew 12:31
- Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; - Mark 3:28
Second, the unpardonable sin is not against Jesus. Jesus said that even a word against the Son of Man could be forgiven.
- Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; - Matthew 12:32a
- even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor. Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief; - 1 Timothy 1:13
That said, if someone dies in their unbelief, they will experience the Second Death, eternal separation from God.
- He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him. - John 3:36
- He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. - 1 John 5:12
- …their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. - Revelation 21:8b